Choosing the Right Contractor

Is the contractor registered with the IICRC (The Clean Trust)?

The IICRC is the global standard for qualification and certification of insurance contractors and sub-contractors who are in the cleaning and restoration industry.

Certificates/Cards are issued by the IICRC for Fire/Water/Mould/Health & Safety.

The contractor you choose should be registered as an IICRC Firm. All contractors in good standing are listed on their website here.

Rathlin Contracting Ltd. is registered with the IICRC, and our employees have been certified and registered with the government for Type 2 and Type 3 levels of asbestos abatement.

Does the contractor have appropriate Liability Insurance?

It is your obligation to ask the contractor for a "Certificate of Insurance". Adequate corporate liability insurance coverage protects clients and customers, and is essential for industry stability.

If Mould or Asbestos work is required, this coverage must be listed as a separate rider on the Certificate of Insurance (under 'Other Liability').

A contractor cannot obtain this insurance without providing proof of IICRC Certification (AMRT) and (for Type III and some Type II Asbestos) a Ministry issued 'Asbestos Worker' or 'Supervisor' card. This coverage is generally only offered by a High-Risk Insurance Carrier.

Rathlin Contracting Ltd. has been insured with a High-Risk carrier for over 10 years and is claim free. 

Does the contractor have WSIB coverage?

All contractors, even owner-operated, must be registered with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).

A contractor registered with the WSIB should be able to provide a clearance certificate to prove that they are in good standing with the Board. This can now be checked online.

WSIB audits that expose a Non-Compliant Contractor will result in fines and charges for the Employer, not the Contractor.

More information can be found here.

Is the contractor certified to handle asbestos removal?

In 1985, the Ministry of Labour classified Asbestos as a 'Designated Substance'; Hazardous and Governed under the Occupational Health and Safety Ace under regulation 287/05 (Asbestos on Construction Projects and in Building Repair Operations).

The regulation states that all construction before, around and prior to 1982 where asbestos was used in specific products must be presumed to be Asbestos Containing Materials. It is the responsibility of the Contractor to initiate testing prior to demolition or repairs.

In order for a Contractor to certify workers, the company must be registered with the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities and assigned a company number.

"Asbestos Awareness Courses" are run by various training schools, and cover the compliance requirements for the Asbestos Regulation O.Reg 278/05. These courses are valuable, but do not provide the Asbestos Certification required for Type III & some Type II work. Nor do they provide an Asbestos Worker Card, which is required for Special Risk Insurance.

Certification is managed by the 'Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. The pre-requisite for admission to write the 'Asbestos Worker' exam for the Asbestos Worker Certification is the Asbestos Awareness Couse. Closed book exams are scheduled and monitored at George Brown College in Toronto. An 'Asbestos Worker' card is issued with a pass. Cards are issued by the Ministry of Labour.

The 'Asbestos Worker' card is a pre-requisite for the 'Asbestos Supervisor' exam in conjunction with a Government Supervisor course and the Asbestos Supervisor Awareness Course Certificate.

Is the contractor certified to handle mould remediation?

Mould Insurance cannot be obtained by the contractor unless there is at least one (1) IICRC certified Mould Technician on staff.

Does the contractor have current IICRC Mould Remediation Technicians on staff?  The designation of those technicians is AMRT and cards are issued by the IICRC. Required to maintain annual fees.

Is the contractor's certification current?  You have the right to ask the contractor for IICRC certificates, and require that technicians receive ongoing continuing education courses to ensure their education and knowledge is kept up-to-date with all procedures and requirements.
Is the contractor in compliance with current Labour Laws issued by the Ministry of Labour? If so they will:

·   Meet and exceed all statutory standards, guidelines and regulations

·   Meet and exceed compliance with the 2014 Occupational Health and Safety Act

·   Have access to qualified structural engineers and hygenists to ensure site safety and air quality

·   Conduct regular site safety inspections and implement site safety talks to ensure staff are always aware of the site hazards and

controls in  place to prevent harm or injury

·   Ensure that there is a person qualified with up-to-date First Aid Cerfification as outlined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act

Contractors must have specified training in all areas of workplace health and safety for all employees, alongside formal training for specific job tasks:

·   All IICRC/The Clean Trust certification is current with ongoing credit courses and training to keep abreast with industry changes

·   First Aid and CPR Certification

·   WHMIS Training and Certification for all employees

·   Elevated Platform Training and Certification

·   Confined Space Training and Certification

·   Joint Health & Safety Committee

Can the contractor provide MSDS sheets for all products used on site?

The contractor must be able to provide Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all products used on the job site.

This is to ensure that products and chemicals used on-site meet standards and requirements governed by that particular municipality.

Is the contractor a member of Construction or Insurance Associations?

Rathlin Contracting Ltd. is a member in good standing with the following associations:
·   IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification)
·   EACO (Environmental Abatement Council of Ontario)
·   CCA (Canadian Construction Association)
·   BBB (Better Business Bureau)